Summary of victims’ rights

Who can be a victim?

Victims’ Rights Act 2002, s 4

A “victim” includes:

  • a person against whom an offence has been committed
  • a person who is physically injured as a result of an offence
  • a person who suffers loss or damage to property as a result of an offence
  • a parent or legal guardian of a child or young person (17 and under) who is a victim
  • an immediate family member of a person who dies or is made “incapable” as a result of an offence. “Incapable” means someone who lacks the ability to communicate or understand the consequences of their decisions and actions.

What are a victim’s rights?

Victims’ Rights Act 2002, ss 7-16 Parole Act 2002, s 49(4)

If you’ve been the victim of a criminal offence, you have a number of rights that are intended to provide you with support, information and assistance when you’re dealing with the police and throughout the court process. You’ll also have the right to make your views known at certain points during the process.

Your rights include:

  • Courteous treatment – the right to be treated with courtesy and compassion
  • Dignity and privacy – the right to have your dignity and privacy respected
  • Access to services – the right to have access to welfare, counselling, medical and legal services, Restorative Justice services that are responsive to your needs
  • Support – the right to have a support person
  • Having a say – the right to:
    • provide a victim impact statement and have the judge take this into account when deciding on any sentence for the defendant (see “Victim impact statements”)
    • have your views about releasing the defendant on bail put to the judge, if the case involves a sexual or violent offence
    • participate in Parole Board hearings or meet with a Parole Board member if the offender is going to be considered for release from prison
    • provide your opinion about bail (“victim view”). This is done via the victim advisers.
  • Information – the right to be told:
    • about the progress of the police investigation, including whether charges have been laid, and to be told the reasons if no charges are laid
    • when and where each court appearance or hearing will be held
    • about your role as a witness in the case
    • whether the defendant has been released on bail and what the bail conditions are, but only if it’s a case involving a sexual or violent offence and you’ve told the police in advance that you want to be notified
    • the outcome of the case, including the sentence if the defendant is convicted and the outcome of any appeals
    • whether you can apply for a court order banning anyone from publishing details that would identify you, and how to apply for these orders.

Victims’ Rights Act 2002, s 49

Note: Most of the rights in the Victims’ Rights Act aren’t legal rights that can be enforced in the same way as rights under other Acts. However, the Act does specify that if you think your rights as a victim have been breached, you can complain to the person whose decision or behaviour you’re unhappy about. That other person must deal with your complaint promptly and fairly. In appropriate cases you can also complain to the Ombudsman, the Independent Police Conduct Authority or the Privacy Commissioner.

Victim notification register

Victims Rights Act 2002, ss 29, 34-38

A victim of a “specified offence” can apply to be on the victim notification register. A “specified offence” under the Victims Rights Act is an offence:

  • of a sexual nature or a serious assault
  • that resulted in serious injury to a person, the death of a person or the person becoming “incapable” (meaning they lack the ability to communicate or understand the consequences of their decisions and actions)
  • of another kind, that has led to you having ongoing fears, on reasonable grounds, for your physical safety or security, or for the physical safety or security of your immediate family.

Victims on the victim notification register will get notifications about the person who offended against them. Victims can apply to be on the register at any stage after an offender has been charged by asking their local police station or contacting Victim Support.

A victim can nominate a representative to get information on their behalf. If a victim no longer wants to get information about the offender, they can close their registration at any time. The type of notification victims can receive will be information about when an offender is on home detention, in prison or on parole.

For more information, go to the Department of Corrections website, here (or go to: and search “victim notification register”). 

Non-contact orders: Avoiding contact from the offender after cases of serious violence

Victims’ Orders Against Violent Offenders Act 2014, ss 7, 10, 11, 14, 24

Victims of serious violent offences can apply to the District Court for a non-contact order against the offender after the offender has been sentenced. The order prevents the offender from doing things like watching or hanging around your home or work, following or stopping you in the street, or contacting you by letter, phone, email or any other way.

If the offender does any of these things, they can be imprisoned for up to two years or fined up to $5,000. The order lasts for two years, unless the judge decides on a different period.

Victims of young offenders

Oranga Tamariki Act 1989, s 321, Schedule 1 (cl 3A)

Most of the rights in the Victims’ Rights Act 2002, listed above, apply also to victims of offences or alleged offences committed by young people and dealt with under the youth justice laws (go to for more information).

Did this answer your question?

The criminal courts

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online:

Access the free “Lag Law: Your Rights Inside Prison and on Remand” book. This book answers heaps of common questions you might have if you’re going to prison, in prison, or getting out of prison.

Email for a hard copy:
Phone: Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley – 04 499 2928

Ministry of Justice

The Ministry of Justice provides useful information about court procedure for criminal matters.


Paying your fines

You can learn about, check or pay your fines (infringement and court-imposed) by phone or online. Unpaid fines can stop you leaving New Zealand – use Ministry of Justice’s fine checks form to find out if you have outstanding debt.

Phone: 0800 4 FINES (0800 434 637)

Fine checks form:

Department of Corrections

The Department of Corrections website has helpful information for offenders and their whānau. It provides insight into the procedure before sentencing, while in prison and on parole.


Restorative Practices Aotearoa

Restorative Practices Aotearoa provides information on when restorative justice may be appropriate, and where in New Zealand it is available.

Phone: 0800 RJA INC (0800 752 462)

Information for victims

Victims Information

Victims Information provides help to victims of crime, their whānau or friends to deal with the practical and emotional effects of a crime. It also provides information to help victims understand the legal and court process.

Phone: 0800 650 654

Manaaki Tāngata – Victim Support

Victim Support provides a free, nationwide support service for people affected by crime, trauma, and suicide in New Zealand. They help clients to find safety, healing, and justice after crime and other traumatic events.

Phone: 0800 VICTIM (0800 842 846)

Victim notifications register

Victim notification gives victims of serious crime, who are registered on the victim notification register, a way to stay informed about the person who offended against them.


Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top