Home | Browse Topics | Criminal & traffic law | The criminal courts | Entering your plea: guilty or not guilty

Criminal & traffic law

How criminal cases begin: Pleading guilty/not guilty, bail, and name suppression

Entering your plea: guilty or not guilty

What happens when you first appear in court?

Your name will be called out by the registrar, and you will have to stand up in the dock. If the charge cannot result in a jail term (for example, careless driving) then you will stand beside the dock. If you don’t have a lawyer to represent you, the charge against you will be read out and you will be asked whether you plead guilty or not guilty. If you have a lawyer, your lawyer will usually tell the court what your plea is.

What type of plea can I make?

You can plead guilty or not guilty. If you are not ready to enter a plea, your case will be put off to a date in either two or three weeks so that you can get legal advice and decide what your plea will be (“remanded without plea”).

When shouldn’t I plead guilty on my first day in court?

You generally will not plead guilty on that first day in the following cases:

  • where the charge is serious or,
  • where you want to apply for Legal Aid, or
  • where you want to defend the charge, or
  • where disclosure from the police is not available.

This is so that you can talk with your ongoing lawyer before entering a plea.

What is a remand?

A remand is where your case is put off to another date without a plea being entered.

You can be “remanded at large” – where you are free to go until the next court date.

You can be “remanded on bail” – where you are released on conditions (see below)

You can be “remanded in custody” – where you are held in prison until your next court date.

Note: If you have been charged with more than one offence, you can plead guilty or not guilty to each of the separate charges against you.

What happens if I plead guilty?

If you plead guilty, this means that you admit committing the offence you have been charged with. The court will then decide what punishment (“sentence”) you will be given, see the “Sentencing” section of this chapter.

Depending on the seriousness of the charges, the judge may sentence you straight away, order a “stand-down report” for sentencing later that day, or order a full pre-sentence report before sentencing you on another day. These reports are prepared by probation officers, who are generally in the courtroom. See “How the judge decides your sentence: Reports from Probation Officers” in this chapter.

At sentencing, the police prosecutor will read out the summary of facts (these are the facts the police rely on to prove that the offence was committed) and state their recommended sentence. Talk to your lawyer if you don’t agree with some of what is stated in the summary of facts.

Your lawyer will tell the judge about your personal circumstances and your point of view about the offence (a “plea in mitigation”). The judge will then decide your sentence.

In some cases, a Restorative Justice conference may also be suitable, see “Restorative justice conferences” in this chapter.

Note: If you admit to committing the offence and it is a minor offence, you may be eligible for diversion (see “Ways to stay out of court: Diversion and Restorative Justice” in this chapter).

Can I change my plea from guilty to not guilty?

You can apply to change your plea from guilty to not guilty at any time up until you are sentenced. However, you must have a very special case (“exceptional circumstances”) for the court to approve this.

What happens if I plead not guilty?

If you plead not guilty, it means you are saying you did not commit the offence you have been charged with and the prosecution must prove otherwise. You are entitled to plead not guilty and make the prosecution prove every aspect of the charge beyond reasonable doubt. It is their job to present all the evidence to prove the charge (for example that it was you, and not someone else, that committed the offence).

“Beyond reasonable doubt” is the standard of proof used in all criminal cases. This means that you only need to raise a reasonable doubt that you did not commit the offence to be found not guilty.

Criminal Procedure Act 2011, ss 6, 73

If the charge is a Category 3 offence (that is, punishable by a jail term of two years or more), you have a right to choose to be tried by a jury. You should make this choice at the time you plead not guilty, otherwise you will be tried by a judge sitting without a jury.

When you have pleaded not guilty, a date will be set for a case review, see “Pre-trial processes” in this chapter. If an agreement about resolving the case isn’t reached at the case review, a date for a judge-alone trial or jury trial will be set. Note that trial waiting times vary around the country. It could be well over a year before your case comes to trial.

Note: If you change your mind later on and decide you want to be tried by a jury, it is extremely difficult to change your original choice. The best thing is to get legal advice early and make a fully informed choice at the beginning.

A not guilty plea to category 4 offence can only be entered in the High Court, Category 4 cases are transferred to the High Court after the first appearance in the District Court.

Does my plea affect whether I will be released or kept in custody?

Not necessarily. If the offence is minor and you plead guilty, you may be sentenced to a penalty other than jail (for example a fine or community service) and released on the same day ( see Sentencing: The judge’s decision about punishment in this chapter). In other cases, the decision about whether you will be released or kept in custody is based on factors such as the likelihood that you will turn up for your next court appearance and the seriousness of the offence ( see Bail in this chapter). With more serious offences, once you plead guilty the rules change about whether you are released, and it can become much harder for you to be released.

Did this answer your question?

The criminal courts

Where to go for more support

Community Law

www. communitylaw.org.nz

Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

“Lag Law: Your rights inside prison and on release”


Lag Law answers heaps of common questions you might have if you’re going to prison, you’re in prison, or you’re getting out of prison. It talks about your rights in prison, and sets out the laws and rules that affect you when you’re put in prison.

Order hard copies from:
Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley
Phone: (04) 499 2928
Email: laglaw@wclc.org.nz

Ministry of Justice


The Ministry of Justice website has a range of pamphlets and other information on topics covered in this chapter. You can access this information online, or you can order hardcopies of the pamphlets from:

Phone: 0800 587 847
Email: publications@justice.govt.nz


Ministry of Justice Collections Unit – www.justice.govt.nz/fines

Phone: 0800 4 FINES (0800 434 637)
From overseas: +64 4 915 8586
From Australia: 1800 144 239 (toll free)

You can check or pay your fines by phone or online. The website has information about both infringement fines and court-imposed fines, and about reparations. The website also has information about District Court Collections Units.

Department of Internal Affairs – www.passports.govt.nz/what-you-need-to-renew-or-apply-for-a-passport/before-you-travel/

This webpage has information about paying your fines to avoid being stopped at the border.

Phone: 0800 PAYORSTAY (0800 729 677)

“Giving evidence” (Law Society pamphlet)


This pamphlet is for people who have to give evidence in court as a witness.

You can order hardcopies from the New Zealand Law Society:

Phone: (04) 472 7837
Email: pamphlets@lawsociety.org.nz

Department of Corrections


This website has information:

for offenders

for family and friends of offenders

about the Department of Corrections’ role in the community, including community work, supervision, home detention, and the role of probation officers

about the New Zealand Parole Board.

Victim Notification Register


This page on the Department of Corrections website has information about the victim notification register including, the process, how to apply, information victims can receive and how to make a complaint.

Restorative Practices Aotearoa


This website provides information on when Restorative Justice may be appropriate, and where in New Zealand Restorative Justice is available. You can also make an enquiry about Restorative Justice by filling out a form on their website.

Phone: 0800 RJA INC (0800 752 462)

Victim Support


Victim Support provides 24-hour support services to help New Zealanders rebuild their lives following a trauma or crisis.

Phone: 0800 842 846
Email: nationaloffice@victimsupport.org.nz

Victims Information


This is the website of the government’s “Victims Centre”. The site provides links to a range of services available to help victims deal with the practical and emotional effects of the crime, at each stage of the criminal and youth justice process.

Phone: 0800 650 654

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top