Home | Browse Topics | Criminal & traffic law | The criminal courts | Name suppression

Criminal & traffic law

How criminal cases begin: Pleading guilty/not guilty, bail, and name suppression

Name suppression

What is name suppression?

Name suppression means that your name and any details that may identify you cannot be published (for example, your name cannot be published in a newspaper article about the case, however, it is difficult to make an “enforceable order” on articles on the internet.)

Criminal Procedure Act 2011, s 196

Note : Criminal case hearings are open to the public except in special cases.

When is name suppression available?

Criminal Procedure Act 2011, ss 200-204

Name suppression is available in the following situations:

  • for victims and defendants in specific sexual cases, the aim being to protect the victim
  • for children under 17 who are complainants or witnesses in criminal proceedings
  • where specifically stated in a law– for example, section 438 of the Oranga Tamariki Act 1989 restricts publication of any proceedings of the Youth Court except with the permission of the court
  • for defendants and any other people connected to the court case (for example, witnesses, victims), at the discretion of the court, subject to certain considerations.

What factors are relevant in deciding whether to grant name suppression?

Criminal Procedure Act 2011, ss 200-204

If you’re charged in the criminal courts, you may be able to get the judge to give you name suppression in some cases. The judge can order this if they’re satisfied that publishing your name would be likely to have one of the following effects:

  • cause “extreme hardship” to you, your family or others connected to you
  • put suspicion on someone else so that they’re caused “undue hardship”
  • cause undue hardship to a victim
  • create a real risk of you not getting a fair trial (for example, if your name is published it might influence potential jurors)
  • put someone in danger
  • lead to someone else who has name suppression being identified
  • interfere with the operation of the law (prejudice the maintenance of the law) or national security or defence.

Criminal Procedure Act 2011, s 200(3)

Note: The fact that a defendant is well-known does not necessarily mean they will be eligible for name suppression on the basis that they would suffer extreme hardship.

Example: What does extreme hardship mean?

Case: [2015] NZCA 7

An employee of two community organisations had stolen a substantial sum of money from their employers. They argued that publishing their name would endanger their safety and cause extreme hardship to them, their family and their employer. They claimed they would lose their job if their name was published. The Court of Appeal did not accept this argument. It said that “extreme hardship” is a very high test to satisfy – hardship on its own means severe suffering, so extreme hardship must be something beyond the usual hardship and embarrassment associated with the consequences of publication.

Example: Extreme hardship and social media

Case [2020] NZCA 387

A 22 year old person admitted two charges of indecent assault after events at a summer camp. They were discharged without conviction. They argued for name suppression and the case went to the Court of Appeal. Their lawyer argued that based on their age, mental health and future job prospects, that they and their family would suffer extreme hardship if their name was made public.

The Court of Appeal focussed on the potential hardship the young person might face if they were named on social media. The court found that they could be subjected to condemnation or trolling on social media if their name was released because of the political context of the events and the level of public interest.

The court said that on social media there is no code of ethics, no complaints procedure and no way of controlling posts unlike mainstream media. They said there was no reasonable expectation that the reporting on social media would be fair or accurate. The court said that while the person could change their name or go offline, they found that the toxic bullying that happens on social media was the main reason why it would be unfair and amount to extreme hardship to make their name public.

Can a person appeal a decision to refuse name suppression?

Criminal Procedure Act 2011, ss 283-286

If the District Court refuses to grant name suppression, you can appeal to the High Court (or to a District Court Judge if the decision was made by Community Magistrates or Justices of the Peace). You have 20 working days to appeal. If you satisfy the court that you are going to appeal that court must grant temporary (“interim”) suppression for that 20-day appeal period. When you do file an appeal, the suppression continues until the appeal is decided.

Can name suppression be enforced overseas?

There have been recent high profile cases where the defendant’s name has been published online by international news outlets even though name suppression has been granted by NZ courts. The government is currently having discussions with the governments of UK, US, Canada and Australia to work out an arrangement where court orders made in NZ can be recognised and enforced overseas.

Order to clear the court

Criminal Procedure Act 2011, s 197

The court has the power to make an order to clear the court (where everyone but the parties leave the court) and forbid any reporting of proceedings (in newspapers or other media). This only happens in certain limited circumstances when it is necessary and when a suppression order would not be enough. To avoid any of the following:

  • undue disruption of the proceedings – for example, the court case could be disrupted because of the high profile of the defendant
  • risking the security or defence of New Zealand
  • a real risk of making the trial unfair (prejudice)
  • putting any person in danger
  • interfering with the operation of the law.

Order forbidding reporting

Criminal Procedure Act 2011, s 205

The court has the power to make orders suppressing the reporting of court proceedings, if the publication would be likely to:

  • cause undue hardship to any victim of the offence
  • create a real risk of making the trial unfair
  • put any person in danger
  • lead to the identification of a person whose name is suppressed
  • interfere with the operation of the law or the security or defence of New Zealand.

Did this answer your question?

The criminal courts

Where to go for more support

Community Law

www. communitylaw.org.nz

Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

“Lag Law: Your rights inside prison and on release”


Lag Law answers heaps of common questions you might have if you’re going to prison, you’re in prison, or you’re getting out of prison. It talks about your rights in prison, and sets out the laws and rules that affect you when you’re put in prison.

Order hard copies from:
Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley
Phone: (04) 499 2928
Email: laglaw@wclc.org.nz

Ministry of Justice


The Ministry of Justice website has a range of pamphlets and other information on topics covered in this chapter. You can access this information online, or you can order hardcopies of the pamphlets from:

Phone: 0800 587 847
Email: publications@justice.govt.nz


Ministry of Justice Collections Unit – www.justice.govt.nz/fines

Phone: 0800 4 FINES (0800 434 637)
From overseas: +64 4 915 8586
From Australia: 1800 144 239 (toll free)

You can check or pay your fines by phone or online. The website has information about both infringement fines and court-imposed fines, and about reparations. The website also has information about District Court Collections Units.

Department of Internal Affairs – www.passports.govt.nz/what-you-need-to-renew-or-apply-for-a-passport/before-you-travel/

This webpage has information about paying your fines to avoid being stopped at the border.

Phone: 0800 PAYORSTAY (0800 729 677)

“Giving evidence” (Law Society pamphlet)


This pamphlet is for people who have to give evidence in court as a witness.

You can order hardcopies from the New Zealand Law Society:

Phone: (04) 472 7837
Email: pamphlets@lawsociety.org.nz

Department of Corrections


This website has information:

for offenders

for family and friends of offenders

about the Department of Corrections’ role in the community, including community work, supervision, home detention, and the role of probation officers

about the New Zealand Parole Board.

Victim Notification Register


This page on the Department of Corrections website has information about the victim notification register including, the process, how to apply, information victims can receive and how to make a complaint.

Restorative Practices Aotearoa


This website provides information on when Restorative Justice may be appropriate, and where in New Zealand Restorative Justice is available. You can also make an enquiry about Restorative Justice by filling out a form on their website.

Phone: 0800 RJA INC (0800 752 462)

Victim Support


Victim Support provides 24-hour support services to help New Zealanders rebuild their lives following a trauma or crisis.

Phone: 0800 842 846
Email: nationaloffice@victimsupport.org.nz

Victims Information


This is the website of the government’s “Victims Centre”. The site provides links to a range of services available to help victims deal with the practical and emotional effects of the crime, at each stage of the criminal and youth justice process.

Phone: 0800 650 654

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life. It’s for people living in Aotearoa New Zealand (and their advocates) to help themselves.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top