Home | Browse Topics | Criminal & traffic law | The criminal courts | Trial process

Criminal & traffic law

The trial

Trial process

At the beginning of a trial the prosecution will make a speech (“opening submission”) where they set out their case with a summary of the law, evidence and witnesses to be called. Then they will begin calling their witnesses.

What happens when I am a witness?

  • If you are a witness you must wait outside the courtroom until you are called into court so that you are not influenced by the other witnesses’ evidence. You will stand in the witness box and be “sworn in” by the registrar (where you swear on the bible or affirm that the evidence you are about to give “will be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth”). After that you can sit down and give your evidence.
  • A formal statement will have been prepared and filed with the Court. Most likely, you’ll have signed a formal statement before you give evidence. However, your main evidence will be the answers you give to the questions you are asked in the witness box. You may be able to refresh your memory with your formal statement in the witness box but that will be decided by the judge.

What is a “no case to answer” submission?

When the prosecution has finished presenting their case, the defence can make a “no case to answer” submission if they think that the prosecution has failed to prove every element of the charge and literally there is no case for the defence to answer.

For example, the police may not have proved it was you, and not someone else driving the car. If the judge agrees that the prosecution hasn’t proven it’s case, the charge will be dismissed. If the judge decides that there is a case to answer, then the defence begins their case by making an opening statement followed by their witnesses.

At the end of a jury trial, the lawyers for each side will sum up their cases (“closing submissions”). The judge will sum up the evidence and advise the jury of the law it must apply in deciding whether the defendant is guilty or not guilty.

Special ways of giving evidence

Evidence Act 2006, ss 103, 105

The judge may direct that any witness in any proceeding may give evidence in an alternative way such as from behind a screen, from outside the courtroom (in New Zealand or overseas), or by a video recording made before the trial.

A party can apply to the judge to give this direction, or the judge can make a direction on his or her own.

A judge can order that evidence may be given in an alternative way on any of the following grounds:

  • the age or maturity of the witness (for example where the witness is a child)
  • the physical, intellectual, psychological or psychiatric impairment of the witness
  • the trauma suffered by the witness
  • the witness’s fear of intimidation
  • the linguistic or cultural background or religious beliefs of the witness
  • the type of case
  • the nature of the evidence that the witness is likely to give
  • the relationship of the witness to anyone who’s involved in the case
  • if the witness is going to be away from New Zealand
  • any other ground likely to promote the purpose of the Evidence Act 2006.

Evidence Act 2006, ss 106A and 106D

A complainant in a family violence case (but not a complainant who is a child) may give evidence by a video record made before the hearing by a police employee.

A complainant in a sexual violence case can choose to give evidence:

  • by a video record made before the trial
  • while in the courtroom but unable to see the defendant
  • from an appropriate place outside the courtroom.

Did this answer your question?

The criminal courts

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Access the free “Lag Law: Your Rights Inside Prison and on Remand” book. This book answers heaps of common questions you might have if you’re going to prison, in prison, or getting out of prison.

Online: communitylaw.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Lag-Law-text-2021-1.pdf
Email for a hard copy: publications@wclc.org.nz
Phone: Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley – 04 499 2928

Ministry of Justice

The Ministry of Justice provides useful information about court procedure for criminal matters.

Website: www.justice.govt.nz/courts/criminal

Paying your fines

You can learn about, check or pay your fines (infringement and court-imposed) by phone or online. Unpaid fines can stop you leaving New Zealand – use Ministry of Justice’s fine checks form to find out if you have outstanding debt.

Website: www.justice.govt.nz/fines
Phone: 0800 4 FINES (0800 434 637)

Fine checks form: www.justice.govt.nz/fines/find-out-if-you-have-a-fine-or-check-your-balance-online/fines-check-form

Department of Corrections

The Department of Corrections website has helpful information for offenders and their whānau. It provides insight into the procedure before sentencing, while in prison and on parole.

Website: www.corrections.govt.nz

Restorative Practices Aotearoa

Restorative Practices Aotearoa provides information on when restorative justice may be appropriate, and where in New Zealand it is available.

Website: www.restorativejusticeaotearoa.org.nz
Email: admin@rpa.org.nz
Phone: 0800 RJA INC (0800 752 462)

Information for victims

Victims Information

Victims Information provides help to victims of crime, their whānau or friends to deal with the practical and emotional effects of a crime. It also provides information to help victims understand the legal and court process.

Website: www.victimsinfo.govt.nz
Phone: 0800 650 654

Manaaki Tāngata – Victim Support

Victim Support provides a free, nationwide support service for people affected by crime, trauma, and suicide in New Zealand. They help clients to find safety, healing, and justice after crime and other traumatic events.

Website: www.victimsupport.org.nz
Phone: 0800 VICTIM (0800 842 846)

Victim notifications register

Victim notification gives victims of serious crime, who are registered on the victim notification register, a way to stay informed about the person who offended against them.

Website: www.corrections.govt.nz/information_for_victims/victim_notification_register

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top