Summary of victims’ rights

Who can be a victim?

Victims’ rights Act 2002 s 4

A “victim” includes:

  • a person against whom an offence has been committed
  • a person who is physically injured as a result of an offence
  • a person who suffers loss or damage to property as a result of an offence
  • a parent or legal guardian of a child or young person (17 and under) who is a victim
  • an immediate family member of a person who dies or is made “incapable” as a result of an offence. “Incapable” means someone who lacks the ability to communicate or understand the consequences of their decisions and actions.

What are a victim’s rights?

Victims’ Rights Act 2002; Parole Act 2002, s 49(4)

If you’ve been the victim of a criminal offence, you have a number of rights that are intended to provide you with support, information and assistance when you’re dealing with the police and throughout the court process. You’ll also have the right to make your views known at certain points during the process.

Your rights include:

  • Courteous treatment – the right to be treated with courtesy and compassion
  • Dignity and privacy – the right to have your dignity and privacy respected
  • Access to services – the right to have access to welfare, counselling, medical and legal services, Restorative Justice services that are responsive to your needs
  • Support – the right to have a support person
  • Having a say – the right to:
    • provide a victim impact statement and have the judge take this into account when deciding on any sentence for the defendant (see “Victim impact statements”)
    • have your views about releasing the defendant on bail put to the judge, if the case involves a sexual or violent offence
    • participate in Parole Board hearings or meet with a Parole Board member if the offender is going to be considered for release from prison.
    • Provide your opinion about bail (“victim view”). This is done via the victim advisers.
  • Information – the right to be told:
    • about the progress of the police investigation, including whether charges have been laid, and to be told the reasons if no charges are laid
    • when and where each court appearance or hearing will be held
    • about your role as a witness in the case
    • whether the defendant has been released on bail and what the bail conditions are, but only if it’s a case involving a sexual or violent offence and you’ve told the police in advance that you want to be notified
    • the outcome of the case, including the sentence if the defendant is convicted and the outcome of any appeals
    • whether you can apply for a court order banning anyone from publishing details that would identify you, and how to apply for these orders.

    Victims’ Rights Act 2002, s 49

    Note: Most of the rights in the Victims’ Rights Act aren’t legal rights that can be enforced in the same way as rights under other Acts. However, the Act does specify that if you think your rights as a victim have been breached, you can complain to the person whose decision or behaviour you’re unhappy about. That other person must deal with your complaint promptly and fairly. In appropriate cases you can also complain to the Ombudsman, the Independent Police Conduct Authority or the Privacy Commissioner.

Victim notification register

Victims Rights Act 2002, ss 29, 34-38

A victim of a “specified offence” can apply to be on the victim notification register. A “specified offence” under the Victims Rights Act is an offence:

  • of a sexual nature or a serious assault
  • that resulted in serious injury to a person, the death of a person or the person becoming “incapable”. “Incapable” means someone who lacks the ability to communicate or understand the consequences of their decisions and actions.
  • of another kind, that has led to you having ongoing fears, on reasonable grounds, for your physical safety or security, or for the physical safety or security of your immediate family.

Victims on the victim notification register will get notifications about the person who offended against them. Victims can apply at any stage after an offender has been charged by asking their local police station or contacting Victim Support. For more information on Victim Support and their services, see “Where to go for more support” at the end of this chapter.

A victim can nominate a representative to get information on their behalf. If a victim no longer wants to get information about the offender, they can close their registration at any time. The type of notification victims can receive will be information about when an offender is on home detention, in prison or on parole. For more information, go to and search “victim notification register”.

Non-contact orders: Avoiding contact from the offender after cases of serious violence

Victims’ Orders Against Violent Offenders Act 2014, ss 7, 10, 11, 14, 24

Victims of serious violent offences can apply to the District Court for a non-contact order against the offender after the offender has been sentenced. The order prevents the offender from doing things like watching or hanging around your home or work, following or stopping you in the street, or contacting you by letter, phone, email or any other way.

If the offender does any of these things, they can be jailed for up to two years or fined up to $5,000. The order lasts for two years, unless the judge decides on a different period.

Victims of young offenders

Oranga Tamariki Act 1989, s 321, Schedule 1 (cl 3A)

Most of the rights in the Victims’ Rights Act 2002, listed above, apply also to victims of offences or alleged offences committed by young people and dealt with under the youth justice laws (see for more information).

Did this answer your question?

The criminal courts

Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

“Lag Law: Your rights inside prison and on release”

Lag Law answers heaps of common questions you might have if you’re going to prison, you’re in prison, or you’re getting out of prison. It talks about your rights in prison, and sets out the laws and rules that affect you when you’re put in prison.

Order hard copies from:
Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley
Phone: (04) 499 2928

Ministry of Justice

The Ministry of Justice website has a range of pamphlets and other information on topics covered in this chapter. You can access this information online, or you can order hardcopies of the pamphlets from:

Phone: 0800 587 847


Ministry of Justice Collections Unit –

Phone: 0800 4 FINES (0800 434 637)
From overseas: +64 4 915 8586
From Australia: 1800 144 239 (toll free)

You can check or pay your fines by phone or online. The website has information about both infringement fines and court-imposed fines, and about reparations. The website also has information about District Court Collections Units.

Department of Internal Affairs –

This webpage has information about paying your fines to avoid being stopped at the border.

Phone: 0800 PAYORSTAY (0800 729 677)

“Giving evidence” (Law Society pamphlet)

This pamphlet is for people who have to give evidence in court as a witness.

You can order hardcopies from the New Zealand Law Society:

Phone: (04) 472 7837

Department of Corrections

This website has information:

for offenders

for family and friends of offenders

about the Department of Corrections’ role in the community, including community work, supervision, home detention, and the role of probation officers

about the New Zealand Parole Board.

Victim Notification Register

This page on the Department of Corrections website has information about the victim notification register including, the process, how to apply, information victims can receive and how to make a complaint.

Restorative Practices Aotearoa

This website provides information on when Restorative Justice may be appropriate, and where in New Zealand Restorative Justice is available. You can also make an enquiry about Restorative Justice by filling out a form on their website.

Phone: 0800 RJA INC (0800 752 462)

Victim Support

Victim Support provides 24-hour support services to help New Zealanders rebuild their lives following a trauma or crisis.

Phone: 0800 842 846

Victims Information

This is the website of the government’s “Victims Centre”. The site provides links to a range of services available to help victims deal with the practical and emotional effects of the crime, at each stage of the criminal and youth justice process.

Phone: 0800 650 654

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top