Home | Browse Topics | Individual rights & freedoms | Privacy and information | Complaining about a breach of your privacy

Individual rights & freedoms

Complaining about a breach of your privacy

Complaining to the relevant organisation directly

Privacy Act 2020, Part 5

Complain to the organisation’s privacy officer

If you think that one of the rules in the Privacy Act has been breached in your case, you should usually start by complaining directly to the particular government agency, business or other organisation that you’re unhappy with. Sometimes letting them know what the problem is can resolve it without having to take it further. If you complain directly to the Privacy Commissioner’s office, they may decide not to deal with your complaint until you’ve tried to resolve the problem with the relevant organisation.

All organisations should have someone who’s been appointed as a privacy officer to deal with privacy issues, and they will be the best person to talk to about the problem. You can ask who the organisation’s privacy officer is, and then complain to them directly, either verbally or in writing. If the organisation doesn’t have a privacy officer, then talk to a manager or other senior person there.

What is the role of a privacy officer?

Privacy Act 2020, s 201

Every organisation must appoint someone to be its privacy officer. The privacy officer’s responsibilities include:

  • encouraging the organisation to comply with the privacy laws
  • dealing with requests made to the organisation about individuals’ information
  • working with the Privacy Commissioner when the Commissioner investigates complaints
  • otherwise making sure that the privacy laws are complied with.

What can I do if complaining to the organisation doesn’t resolve things?

In that case you can complain to the Privacy Commissioner.

Did this answer your question?

Privacy and information

Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide initial free legal advice and information.

Office of the Privacy Commissioner

Website: www.privacy.org.nz
Phone: (04) 474 7590 or freephone 0800 803 909
Email: enquiries@privacy.org.nz

For complaints, You can submit a complaint online using the online self-assessment form, ring the 0800 number above or send an email.

Mental health and addiction pamphlet


“What happens to your mental health and addiction information” – available from the Ministry of Health website.

This pamphlet gives you details of how and why consumer information is collected by PRIMHD (Programme for the Integration of Mental Health Data). It also looks at who uses the information, and the privacy rights of consumers under the Health Information Privacy Act 1993.

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top