COVID-19 response

If you are looking for the latest legal information relating current Coronavirus laws in New Zealand, check out our Coronavirus and the Law section.

Communtity Law Manual | Oranga Tamariki / Ministry for Children | Challenging decisions by Family Court Judges

How to challenge decisions by Oranga Tamariki or the Family Court

Challenging decisions by Family Court Judges

How do I challenge a decision by a Family Court Judge under the child protection laws?

Oranga Tamariki Act 1989, ss 341, 346; High Court Rules 2016 (LI 2016/225), rule 20.4

If you’re not happy about a decision made by the Family Court about your child, such as an order placing your child in the custody of Oranga Tamariki, you can appeal the decision to the High Court. You have 20 working days to file your appeal with the High Court.

back to top