Home | Browse Topics | Family law | Dealing with Oranga Tamariki / Ministry for Children | Temporary or extended care agreements: Agreements for children to leave the family or whānau for a while

Family law

If Oranga Tamariki deals with you outside the court system

Temporary or extended care agreements: Agreements for children to leave the family or whānau for a while


If a family or whānau is going through a hard time and needs help looking after their children for a while, one option is to come to an agreement with Oranga Tamariki or some other support service to provide day-to-day care for the child for a limited time, without the Family Court getting involved at all. The Oranga Tamariki Act specifically allows for this and puts some rules around the process.

For example, sometimes children might be ignoring their parents’ or caregivers’ wishes and be out committing crimes. In these cases going to stay with another family member or caregiver in a different environment might help change what is behind that child’s behaviour.

An agreement like this is usually with Oranga Tamariki, but the law also allows for them to be with a group like a child and family support service, such as Barnardos.

These care agreements might be one of the things decided on at a Family Group Conference (see below) after a report of harm or neglect – or the family/whānau and Oranga Tamariki might reach one of these agreements without them going through the Family Group Conference process at all.

Note: A temporary or extended care agreement will usually only be made if there is a reasonable prospect of the child being able to return to the parents afterwards.

Short-term agreements for temporary care of your child: Up to 8 weeks

Oranga Tamariki Act 1989, s 139

If for a short time you’re unable to look after your child, you can talk to Oranga Tamariki and agree with them that your child will go into their care for several weeks.

These agreements can last for up to four weeks (28 days). This can also be extended to a maximum of eight weeks (56 days).

Longer agreements for temporary care of your child: Up to 12 months

Oranga Tamariki Act 1989, ss 140, 143–145, 147

You can agree that your child will be placed in the care of Oranga Tamariki for longer periods of several months. If the child is under seven, this can be for up to six months. For older children, it can be for up to 12 months.

However, there will need to be a Family Group Conference, and the conference will need to approve the agreement before it can go ahead.

Also, if your child is 12 or older, the agreement can’t go ahead unless the child agrees. If your child is under 12, what they want still has to be taken into account when you’re working out the agreement – for example, they might say they want to go and live with their grandparents.

The Oranga Tamariki Act also specifically allows for young people aged 15, 16 or 17 to be placed with Oranga Tamariki or another organisation for long periods to help them become independent. This can be for up to 12 months initially, but the time can be extended by a Family Group Conference.

Note: The law says these temporary or extended agreements can be for some organisation other than Oranga Tamariki to provide care – like an approved iwi social service, or an approved child and family support service. But in practice these agreements are usually with Oranga Tamariki.

“Family” and “family group” in the Oranga Tamariki Act – Wide meanings

The Oranga Tamariki Act uses both of these terms – “family” and “family group” – to talk about the families and relatives of children. It often uses the phrase “a member of the family, whānau, or family group” of the child – for example, when saying that their views have to be taken into account or that they can attend a Family Group Conference.

The Act doesn’t define “family”, but it does define “family group”, giving the term a very broad definition. “Family group”, the Act says, includes extended family, whānau or another “culturally recognised” family group of the child. So as well as whānau, this would include hapū and iwi, and other extended families such as aiga in fa’a Sāmoa, kāinga in Tongan communities, and jiā ting in Chinese communities.

“Family group” in the Oranga Tamariki Act also includes any household or family-type grouping where there’s at least one adult who’s related biologically or legally to the child, or at least one adult with whom the child has an important emotional connection (a “significant psychological attachment”).

Did this answer your question?

Dealing with Oranga Tamariki / Ministry for Children

Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

Oranga Tamariki / Ministry for Children


Oranga Tamariki / Ministry for Children replaced Child, Youth and Family in April 2017. Its website has a range of information about the care and protection issues discussed in this chapter.

Phone: 0508 FAMILY (0508 326 459)
Email: enquiry@ot.govt.nz

Family Court


The Family Court website has a wide variety of pamphlets and other information on issues relating to children. Access pamphlets online or order hard copies:

Phone: 0800 587 847
Email: publications@justice.govt.nz



Barnardos delivers a range of child and family services and early childhood care and education services throughout New Zealand. Barnardos also produces a range of fact sheets about children, parenting, child abuse and neglect, and school and family matters. For more information contact:

Phone: 0800 BARNARDOS (0800 227 627)
Email: information.sheets@barnardos.org.nz

Children’s Commissioner


Contact the Office of the Children’s Commissioner:

Phone: 0800 224 453
Email: advice@occ.org.nz

The Office of the Children’s Commissioner looks to ensure that children’s rights are respected and upheld. It advocates for the best interests of all children and young people in New Zealand.

VOYCE – Whakarongo Mai


This is a non-government advocacy service for children and young people in state care. Set up in April 2017, “VOYCE” stands for “Voice of the Young and Care Experienced”.

Youthline Aotearoa


Phone: 0800 37 66 33
Free text: 234
Email: talk@youthline.co.nz

Youthline provides free counselling, information and referral services.

Women’s Refuge


Women’s Refuge provides 24-hour support, advocacy and accommodation for women and their children experiencing family violence.

Crisis Line

Phone: 0800 REFUGE (0800 733 843)

Women’s Refuge provides a free phone line for people anywhere in New Zealand. Get information, advice and support about family violence as well as help in a crisis.


A range of resources and fact sheets are available online.

Phone: (04) 802 5078
Email: info@refuge.org.nz

Office of the Ombudsman


Free phone: 0800 802 602

Email: office@Ombudsman.parliament.nz

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top