Before prison: The criminal court process

Dealing with the police

What can I do if the police treated me unfairly?

Independent Police Conduct Authority Act 1988, s 14

If the police treated you unfairly (for example by searching your house for no reason, or by not letting you call a lawyer after they arrested you), you should tell your lawyer about this. If the evidence against you wasn’t collected fairly, that might help you to defend the charge against you in court.

You can also complain to the Independent Police Conduct Authority about unfair treatment from the police. Discuss this with your lawyer first.

Next Section | Lawyers and legal aid

Did this answer your question?

Before prison: The criminal court process

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide initial free legal advice and information.

Also available as a book

Lag Law: Prisoner's Rights

Lag Law answers heaps of common questions you might have if you’re going to prison, you’re in prison, or you’re getting out of prison. It talks about your rights in prison, and sets out the laws and rules that affect you when you’re put in prison . 1 free copy for people in prison and the whānau of someone in prison. If that’s you, email for your free copy

Buy Lag Law: Prisoner's Rights

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top