COVID-19 response

If you are looking for the latest legal information relating current Coronavirus laws in New Zealand, check out our Coronavirus and the Law section.

Challenging a Protection Order

Getting help from a lawyer

Will I need a lawyer?

If you decide you want to challenge the order or application, you should contact a lawyer. If you’re on a benefit or a very low income you may qualify for Legal Aid.

Legal Aid is a government-funded scheme that gives people with limited financial resources access to a lawyer (see the chapter “Legal Aid and other legal help”).

Acting without a lawyer

If you decide to challenge a Protection Order or application without getting a lawyer, you can do so. However, the process can be difficult. There are a number of resources available that can help you through the process (see “Where to go for more support” at the end of this chapter).

back to top