COVID-19 response

If you are looking for the latest legal information relating current Coronavirus laws in New Zealand, check out our Coronavirus and the Law section.

Communtity Law Manual | Family violence & elder abuse | Family violence Protection Orders

Protection for older people against abuse or neglect

Family violence Protection Orders

Older person or their representative can apply for Protection Order

The Family Court can issue a Protection Order to protect an adult from further abuse by someone they are in a family relationship with. Older people at risk of abuse from their children, siblings, or live-in caregivers, for example, can apply to the Family Court for a Protection Order. The court may allow a representative to apply on behalf of an abused adult if they are unable to do so themselves due to lack of capacity or fear of harm. See “Applying for a Protection Order: Long-term protection against family violence / Who can apply” earlier in this chapter.

back to top