Home | Browse Topics | Family law | Family violence and elder abuse | Property orders: Making sure you have access to your home and furniture

Family law

What a Protection Order does

Property orders: Making sure you have access to your home and furniture

When you obtain a Protection Order from the Family Court, the judge can also make various property orders to deal with who has access to the home and furniture.

Occupation orders (for people who own their own home)

Family Violence Act 2018, ss 115–120

An occupation order gives you the exclusive right to live in a property that either you or the other person (the respondent) owns or has a legal interest in. The effect of the order is that the other person has to move out, even if they’re the sole owner. You can get an occupation order even if already you’ve moved out of the property.

The judge needs to be satisfied that the order is necessary to protect you (the applicant), or that the order is in the best interests of a child of your family.

When deciding whether to make the order the judge must consider the reasonable accommodation needs of everyone who might be affected by the order.

Note: Although the Family Court can make an Occupation Order for any length of time, these orders are usually temporary only, to give both of you (both the applicant and the respondent) time to sort out where you’ll live and how you’ll divide your property.

Tenancy orders (for people who are renting)

Family Violence Act 2018, ss 121–124

If you’ve obtained a Protection Order from the Family Court, you can also get a tenancy order that gives you the right to live in any place that you and the other person have been renting together. You can do this even if the other person is named as the only (“sole”) tenant on the tenancy agreement. The tenancy order makes you the sole (only) tenant of the property, and it means that the other person stops being a tenant and no longer has a right to live there.

A tenancy order can’t be granted if other people are also tenants of the property.

Just like an occupation order, the judge can only make a tenancy order if they’re satisfied that the order is necessary to protect you or that making it is in the best interests of your children.

Furniture orders

Family Violence Act 2018, ss 127–139

A furniture order allows you to have possession of some or all of the furniture, household appliances, and household effects from a house you’ve shared with the respondent.

You can apply for a furniture order for on its own, or along with an occupation or tenancy order (in which case it’s called an “ancillary furniture order”).

Can I apply for a property order “without notice”?

Family Violence Act 2018, s 75 & 114

Yes. The Family Court can make occupation or tenancy orders “without notice” (that is, without the other person being told about your application) if:

  • you or a child of your family has been physically or sexually abused by the respondent, and
  • a delay could expose you or the child to physical or sexual abuse, and
  • a Protection Order has been granted, or is granted at the same time.

If you want to apply for a furniture order on its own, without also applying for a Protection Order, you have to apply “on notice”.

An application without notice for an ancillary furniture order must meet the first two of the three requirements set out above, and an occupation or tenancy order must also have been granted.

Did this answer your question?

Family violence and elder abuse

Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

Age Concern


Age Concern provides a range of resources on aspects of life for older people including elder abuse.

Phone: (04) 801 9338 or 0800 65 2 105
Email: national.office@ageconcern.org.nz

Elder Abuse Response Service (EARS)

Helpline: 0800 32 668 65

With this confidential 24-hour, free-phone helpline, registered nurses will listen and provide information and support about elder abuse – whether the caller is calling on their own behalf or is concerned about a friend or family member. Callers will then be referred to local elder abuse services to get the help they need.

Family Court


This Family Court webpage provides pamphlets and other information giving an overview of how family violence is dealt with in the courts and how Protection Orders can help keep people safe from family violence. The website also provides information on responding to a Protection Order application.

You can access the pamphlets online, or you can order hard copies by contacting the Family Court on:

Phone: 0800 587 847
Email: publications@justice.govt.nz

Family Court family violence forms

These forms, and a guide for how to complete a Protection Order application, are available at www.justice.govt.nz/family/family-violence/protection-order-forms

Family Court fee waiver forms

These forms are available here:


Independent Police Conduct Authority


Postal Address: PO Box 5025, Wellington 6145

Phone: (04) 499 2050
Phone: 0800 503 728

Email: info@ipca.govt.nz

The IPCA receives and investigates complaints against the police. A complaint form is available online.

“Family violence” (Law Society pamphlet)

Available at: www.lawsociety.org.nz/about-us/about-our-publications/law-awareness-brochures

Access pamphlets online or order hardcopies from the New Zealand Law Society.

Phone: (04) 472 7837
Email: pamphlets@lawsociety.org.nz

Women’s Refuge


Women’s Refuge provides 24-hour support, advocacy and accommodation for women and their children experiencing family violence.

Crisis Line

Phone: 0800 REFUGE (0800 733 843)

Women’s Refuge provides a free phone line for people anywhere in New Zealand. Get information, advice and support about family violence as well as help in a crisis.

Fact sheets

A range of resources and fact sheets are available online.

Phone: (04) 802 5078
Email: info@refuge.org.nz

Family Violence – It’s Not OK


Phone: 0800 456 450

“It’s not OK” is a community-driven behaviour change campaign to reduce family violence in New Zealand. Its goal is to change attitudes and behaviour that tolerate any kind of family violence. The website has resources for families who are experiencing abuse. It’s not OK is an initiative housed within the Ministry of Social Development.

Family violence and disabled people


Family violence and migrant families


Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top