Home | Browse Topics | Jobs & benefits | Dealing with Work and Income | The Working for Families tax credit package

Jobs & benefits

Getting ongoing extra help

The Working for Families tax credit package

Income Tax Act 2007, Part M

If you have kids and you have a low income, you can apply for a Working for Families tax credit.

Working for Families is not a benefit paid by Work and Income under the Social Security Act, it is a system of tax credits administered by Inland Revenue. However, if you’re already getting a main benefit, you can ask Work and Income to pay your tax credits alongside your benefit payments.

There are four types of tax credits that you can get depending on your income and family circumstance:

  • The Family Tax Credit (“FTC”) is paid to all families on a low income or getting a benefit. You get a certain amount for your first child, and then an additional smaller amount for each of your other children. You can get it for all your children under 16; for children aged 16 or 17 if they’re still financially dependent on you; and for 18 year olds if they’re at school or doing tertiary education/training and still financially dependent on you. Your FTC payments start reducing when you earn over a certain amount.
  • The In-Work Tax Credit pays a certain amount a week for up to three children and then an additional smaller amount for each of your other children. The amount you get will be reduced (“abated”) if you earn income over a certain amount. You can’t get it if you’re receiving an income-tested main benefit (e.g., Jobseeker Support or Sole Parent Support), a Student Allowance, or earnings-related ACC payments.
  • The Minimum Family Tax Credit tops up your wages (calculated after tax) to a certain amount a week. If your family’s total wages increase, the tax credit will reduce. To get Minimum Family Tax Credit you need to be working at least 20 hours a week as a single parent, or 30 hours per week between you as a couple. You can’t get the Minimum Family Tax Credit if you’re receiving a income-tested main benefit.
  • The Best Start Tax Credit pays a certain amount a week for each child until their first birthday. The payments continue until age three if your and your partner’s income is under a certain amount. If your combined income is over that amount, the weekly payment reduces a certain number of cents for every dollar you earn over that amount. Best Start is available to beneficiaries and non-beneficiaries, but you can’t get it if you’re receiving government-funded parental leave payments.

Do I qualify for a Working for Families tax credit?

You can apply for a Working for Families tax credit, if you:

  • have a dependent child or children in your care under the age of 18, or between 18 and 19 and still at school or in tertiary study
  • are the principal caregiver
  • are aged 16 or older
  • are a New Zealand resident (New Zealand citizen, residence visa holder or permanent residence visa holder).

You can get payments up until your child turns 18. If the child is still at school or in tertiary study when they turn 18, you can get payments until 31 December of that year.

The amount you can get will depend on how many children you have and your household income. To estimate how much you are eligible for, go to ird.govt.nz/working-for-families/eligibility.

How do I apply for a Working for Families tax credit?

To begin the application process, you can:

  • apply online if you have a “myIR” account
  • complete an online form on IRD’s website, here (or go to ird.govt.nz and search “Working for families), or
  • phone IRD at 0800 227 774.

If your child is a newborn you can apply for an IRD number and apply for Best Start when you register their birth with IRD. You can do this online smartstart.services.govt.nz/register-my-baby, or fill out a paper application and send it to IRD. You can still receive Working for Families payments for 8 weeks if you have applied and are waiting for an IRD number for your child.

Can I get payments for past years?

If you had children in your care and you didn’t apply for Working for Families, you may be able to receive back payments for past years.

You’ll need to contact IRD to complete your application and let them know why you didn’t apply at the time. They may need more information from you to confirm if you are eligible, for example, income tax returns for past years.

Generally, there is a 4-year limit, but you can apply for Working for Families further back than 4 years if:

  • you have never been assessed for Working for Families payments, and
  • you have never had your income tax assessed.

To apply for Working for Families payments for past years, phone IRD on 0800 227 773.

Did this answer your question?

Dealing with Work and Income

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Ministry of Social Development – Work and Income (WINZ)

See Work and Income’s website for information on whether you qualify for a benefit and how to apply for them.

Website: www.workandincome.govt.nz
Phone:  0800 559 009

Auckland Action Against Poverty (AAAP)

AAAP is a free nationwide advocacy service for people dealing with Work and Income.

Website: www.aaap.org.nz
Email: advocates@aaap.org.nz
Instagram: www.instagram.com/aucklandactionagainstpoverty
Facebook: www.facebook.com/AAAPNZ/

Helpful resources for beneficiaries: www.aaap.org.nz/resources

Beneficiaries Advocacy and Information Services (BAIS)

BAIS provides free advocacy and support for beneficiaries and low-income families in Auckland’s North Shore, Rodney and Hibiscus Coast districts.

Website: www.bais.org.nz
Phone: 09 444 9543
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bais.northshoreandrodney
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BAISnorthshoreandrodey   

Hutt Valley Benefit Education Service Trust (HV BEST)

The HV BEST provides information and support to beneficiaries in the Hutt Valley. 

Website: www.hvbest.co.nz
Email: hvbest@xtra.co.nz
Phone: 04 529 8108

Beneficiaries & Unwaged Workers Trust (BUWT)

BUWT provides information, advice and support to people on low incomes in Nelson.

Website: www.buwt.wordpress.com
Email: buwtcs@xtra.co.nz
Phone: 03 548 8171
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/282105670089970/?locale=pt_PT

Beneficiary Advisory Service (BAS)

The BAS provides information and support to beneficiaries in Christchurch.

Website: www.bas.org.nz
Email: bas.cprc@gmail.com
Phone: 0800 00 00 43
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BeneficiaryAdvisoryService

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

CAB provides free, confidential and independent information and advice. See CAB’s website for valuable information on a range of topics.

Website: www.cab.org.nz
Phone: 0800 367 222
Facebook:  www.facebook.com/citizensadvicenz

Find your local CAB office: www.cab.org.nz/find-a-cab

Zero Data

Zero Data is a new digital support that allows anyone with a mobile device, phone or tablet to access essential Government information for free. No data is used.

Website: www.zero.govt.nz

What do I need do I need for it to work?

  •  The device is on.
  •  The device is connected to Spark, Skinny One NZ, 2Degrees, Slingshot or Orcon.

You can access information from the following agencies:

  • Te Manatū Whakahiato Ora | Ministry of Social Development
  • Te Tāhuhu o te Mātauranga | Ministry of Education
  • Te Tari Taiwhenua | Department of Internal Affairs
  • Te Whatu Ora | Health New Zealand
  • Kāinga Ora | Homes & Communities
  • Te Tāhū o te Ture | Ministry of Justice
  • Te Kaporeihana Āwhina Hunga Whara | Accident Compensation Corporation

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top