Home | Browse Topics | Jobs & benefits | Dealing with Work and Income | Temporary Additional Support: Extra ongoing help with hardship

Jobs & benefits

One-off payments for immediate and essential needs

Temporary Additional Support: Extra ongoing help with hardship

Social Security Act 2018 ss 17, 95–98, Sched 4 Social Security Regulations 2018, regs 56–71

If you’re experiencing ongoing hardship, you might qualify for Temporary Additional Support. This is ongoing assistance that’s available if you don’t have enough money left after paying your costs to meet other regular expenses such as food and power.

Temporary Additional Support is available in addition to supplementary assistance such as the Accommodation Supplement, the Disability Allowance and the Childcare Subsidy. If you have high Disability Allowance-related costs, you may be able to get more than the standard maximum amount of Temporary Additional Support.

It is also available instead of other supplementary asssitance, if you don’t qualify for other assistance due to the residency requirements. For example, if you have not lived in NZ continuously for two years since gaining residency you can get Temporary Additional Support. There are also residency requirements for Temporary Additional Support (see: “Do I have to be a New Zealand resident?).

How long can I continue to get Temporary Additional Support?

Temporary Additional Support is granted for a maximum of 13 weeks. However, you can reapply and get another 13 weeks. You’ll need to declare that you are taking “reasonable steps” to reduce your costs and/or increase your income.

Am I eligible for Temporary Additional Support?

Social Security Regulations 2018, regs 56–71

Work and Income decides if you’re eligible for Temporary Additional Support using a specific formula. This formula is intended to calculate if you have extra disposable income.

First, Work and Income will calculate your income. This includes any wages, benefits, income support or supplementary assistance you get.

Next, Work and Income calculates your specific essential costs (“allowable costs”). These are limited to your ongoing and regular expenses – for example, your accommodation costs, paying for essential household items, your transport to work, childcare, or essential medical costs.

If you have any income leftover after you’ve paid for all your allowable costs, this is called “disposable income”.

Work and Income will then calculate what other costs you might have (“standard costs”). This calculation varies depending on the size of your family.

If you have any income leftover once the allowable costs and standard costs have been paid (a “surplus”), you won’t be eligible for Temporary Additional Support.

If you don’t have any income left, or if you’re left with a negative amount (a “deficit”), you will be eligible for Temporary Additional Support.

Did this answer your question?

Dealing with Work and Income

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Ministry of Social Development – Work and Income (WINZ)

See Work and Income’s website for information on whether you qualify for a benefit and how to apply for them.

Website: www.workandincome.govt.nz
Phone:  0800 559 009

Auckland Action Against Poverty (AAAP)

AAAP is a free nationwide advocacy service for people dealing with Work and Income.

Website: www.aaap.org.nz
Email: advocates@aaap.org.nz
Instagram: www.instagram.com/aucklandactionagainstpoverty
Facebook: www.facebook.com/AAAPNZ/

Helpful resources for beneficiaries: www.aaap.org.nz/resources

Beneficiaries Advocacy and Information Services (BAIS)

BAIS provides free advocacy and support for beneficiaries and low-income families in Auckland’s North Shore, Rodney and Hibiscus Coast districts.

Website: www.bais.org.nz
Phone: 09 444 9543
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bais.northshoreandrodney
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BAISnorthshoreandrodey   

Hutt Valley Benefit Education Service Trust (HV BEST)

The HV BEST provides information and support to beneficiaries in the Hutt Valley. 

Website: www.hvbest.co.nz
Email: hvbest@xtra.co.nz
Phone: 04 529 8108

Beneficiaries & Unwaged Workers Trust (BUWT)

BUWT provides information, advice and support to people on low incomes in Nelson.

Website: www.buwt.wordpress.com
Email: buwtcs@xtra.co.nz
Phone: 03 548 8171
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/282105670089970/?locale=pt_PT

Beneficiary Advisory Service (BAS)

The BAS provides information and support to beneficiaries in Christchurch.

Website: www.bas.org.nz
Email: bas.cprc@gmail.com
Phone: 0800 00 00 43
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BeneficiaryAdvisoryService

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

CAB provides free, confidential and independent information and advice. See CAB’s website for valuable information on a range of topics.

Website: www.cab.org.nz
Phone: 0800 367 222
Facebook:  www.facebook.com/citizensadvicenz

Find your local CAB office: www.cab.org.nz/find-a-cab

Zero Data

Zero Data is a new digital support that allows anyone with a mobile device, phone or tablet to access essential Government information for free. No data is used.

Website: www.zero.govt.nz

What do I need do I need for it to work?

  •  The device is on.
  •  The device is connected to Spark, Skinny One NZ, 2Degrees, Slingshot or Orcon.

You can access information from the following agencies:

  • Te Manatū Whakahiato Ora | Ministry of Social Development
  • Te Tāhuhu o te Mātauranga | Ministry of Education
  • Te Tari Taiwhenua | Department of Internal Affairs
  • Te Whatu Ora | Health New Zealand
  • Kāinga Ora | Homes & Communities
  • Te Tāhū o te Ture | Ministry of Justice
  • Te Kaporeihana Āwhina Hunga Whara | Accident Compensation Corporation

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top