Home | Browse Topics | Jobs & benefits | Dealing with Work and Income | You’re a sole parent with a child/children under 14

Jobs & benefits

Types of main benefits

You’re a sole parent with a child/children under 14

You can apply for Sole Parent Support if:

  • you’re aged 20 or older, and
  • you have children under 14. Once your youngest child turns three, you are expected to look for part-time work – “the part-time work test” (see: “What are “work obligations”?), or
  • you’re caring for someone else’s child under 14.

If you’re a teenage parent, you’ll need to apply for the Young Parent Payment instead (see: “Teenage parents (Young Parent Payment)”).

If you’re looking after someone else’s child, you might instead be able to apply for the Unsupported Child’s or the Orphan’s Benefit. You can’t receive Orphans Benefit/Unsupported Childs Benefit and Sole Parent Support for the same child (see: “You’re caring for someone else’s child).

Qualifying for Sole Parent Support

Do I qualify for Sole Parent Support?

Social Security Act 2018, ss 29, 30, 33

You might qualify for Sole Parent Support if:

  • you’re the sole parent of a child under the age of 14, and
  • you’re 20 or older, and
  • you’re either:

If you’re the sole parent of a child aged 14 or older, or if you have a partner and dependent children of any age, you might instead qualify for Jobseeker Support.

Will I have to look for work?

Social Security Act 2018, Sched 2 (definitions of “part-time work,” “work-tested benefit,” “work-tested sole parent support beneficiary”), ss 121–125, 138 – 145

If your youngest child is three or older but under 14, you have to be available for, and looking for, at least 20 hours of work per week (the “part-time work test”).

If your youngest child is under three, you might have to occasionally take part in work preparation activities (e.g., training or education).

For information on if you can’t comply with the part-time work test, see: “What are “work obligations”?.

What other obligations will I have?

  • Drug-testing– If you’re required to be available for, and looking for, part-time work, you’ll also be subject to drug-testing obligations (see: “Will I be drug tested?”).
  • “Social obligations” for parents– All beneficiaries who are parents are also subject to a number of what are called “social obligations,” which include, for example, making sure that from age three your children attend pre-school or school.

What if I share custody with my child’s other parent?

Social Security Act 2018, ss 32, 195, 196

Both parents can get Sole Parent Support if you have a Parenting Order from the Family Court that awards both parents day-to-day care of one or more of the children.

However, only one parent can get Sole Parent Support if you don’t have a Parenting Order from the Family Court. If both of you apply for Sole Parent Support, Work and Income will decide which of you have the greater responsibility for the child or children (the “principal caregiver”).

The other parent won’t qualify for Sole Parent Support, but they can apply for different benefits. If they get a different benefit, the amount they get will depend on if they are the principal caregiver of another child or children:

  • If they’re not the principal caregiver of another child, they won’t get that benefit at a sole parent rate.
  • If they’re the principal caregiver of another child or children, they can still get that benefit at a sole parent rate.

What happens if I have another child while on the benefit?

If you take on the care of another child while you’re getting Sole Parent Support (for example, if you give birth or adopt a child), your work test obligations will change depending on the age of your now-youngest child. When the youngest child in your care turns 14, you’ll be transferred to Jobseeker Support.

Will I have to identify the other parent?

Social Security Act 2018, ss 192–194 (repealed)

No. If you can’t identify the other parent, or refuse to do so, this won’t affect the benefit payments you can receive.

Did this answer your question?

Dealing with Work and Income

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Ministry of Social Development – Work and Income (WINZ)

See Work and Income’s website for information on whether you qualify for a benefit and how to apply for them.

Website: www.workandincome.govt.nz
Phone:  0800 559 009

Auckland Action Against Poverty (AAAP)

AAAP is a free nationwide advocacy service for people dealing with Work and Income.

Website: www.aaap.org.nz
Email: advocates@aaap.org.nz
Instagram: www.instagram.com/aucklandactionagainstpoverty
Facebook: www.facebook.com/AAAPNZ/

Helpful resources for beneficiaries: www.aaap.org.nz/resources

Beneficiaries Advocacy and Information Services (BAIS)

BAIS provides free advocacy and support for beneficiaries and low-income families in Auckland’s North Shore, Rodney and Hibiscus Coast districts.

Website: www.bais.org.nz
Phone: 09 444 9543
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bais.northshoreandrodney
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BAISnorthshoreandrodey   

Hutt Valley Benefit Education Service Trust (HV BEST)

The HV BEST provides information and support to beneficiaries in the Hutt Valley. 

Website: www.hvbest.co.nz
Email: hvbest@xtra.co.nz
Phone: 04 529 8108

Beneficiaries & Unwaged Workers Trust (BUWT)

BUWT provides information, advice and support to people on low incomes in Nelson.

Website: www.buwt.wordpress.com
Email: buwtcs@xtra.co.nz
Phone: 03 548 8171
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/282105670089970/?locale=pt_PT

Beneficiary Advisory Service (BAS)

The BAS provides information and support to beneficiaries in Christchurch.

Website: www.bas.org.nz
Email: bas.cprc@gmail.com
Phone: 0800 00 00 43
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BeneficiaryAdvisoryService

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

CAB provides free, confidential and independent information and advice. See CAB’s website for valuable information on a range of topics.

Website: www.cab.org.nz
Phone: 0800 367 222
Facebook:  www.facebook.com/citizensadvicenz

Find your local CAB office: www.cab.org.nz/find-a-cab

Zero Data

Zero Data is a new digital support that allows anyone with a mobile device, phone or tablet to access essential Government information for free. No data is used.

Website: www.zero.govt.nz

What do I need do I need for it to work?

  •  The device is on.
  •  The device is connected to Spark, Skinny One NZ, 2Degrees, Slingshot or Orcon.

You can access information from the following agencies:

  • Te Manatū Whakahiato Ora | Ministry of Social Development
  • Te Tāhuhu o te Mātauranga | Ministry of Education
  • Te Tari Taiwhenua | Department of Internal Affairs
  • Te Whatu Ora | Health New Zealand
  • Kāinga Ora | Homes & Communities
  • Te Tāhū o te Ture | Ministry of Justice
  • Te Kaporeihana Āwhina Hunga Whara | Accident Compensation Corporation

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top