Home | Browse Topics | Jobs & benefits | Dealing with Work and Income | Help with ongoing disability costs: Disability Allowance

Jobs & benefits

Getting ongoing extra help

Help with ongoing disability costs: Disability Allowance

What is the Disability Allowance?

Disability Allowance is a weekly payment to cover the costs that come up as a direct result of your (or your child’s) disability up to a maximum amount. If your actual costs are more than the maximum, the difference can be covered by Temporary Additional Support (see: “Temporary Additional Support: Extra ongoing help with hardship).

The Disability Allowance is income-tested, with the income threshold varying depending on the size of your household. If your income is more than the relevant threshold, you will not receive any Disability Allowance.

Disability Allowance is not asset-tested, meaning you won’t be refused a Disability Allowance because of how much savings or other property you have.

Do I qualify for the Disability Allowance?

Social Security Act 2018, ss 17, 84–89, 368–371, 425, Sched 4

To qualify, you must be under the income threshold, and you (or your child) must have a disability that:

  • is likely to continue for at least six months, and
  • has reduced your independent functioning to the extent that you need ongoing support in your day-to-day life, and/or need ongoing supervision or treatment by a health professional.

The disability does not have to restrict your ability to work.

If it’s not possible to know whether your disability is likely to continue for at least six months, Work and Income can still grant you the allowance if it’s reasonably possible that the disability will last for six months, provided you would otherwise qualify. The allowance can also be granted if your life expectancy is less than six months.

You will need a health practitioner to certify on your application form that you meet the above qualifications, and that any costs you claim are necessary and of therapeutic value to your disability.

What costs can I claim for?

You can claim any regular and ongoing costs that come up due to your or your child’s disability (for example, the costs that someone without your disability wouldn’t have). These usually include costs such as doctor visits, counselling, prescriptions, alternative treatments (for example, physiotherapy and acupuncture) and special foods. You could also claim for things like gardening, transport for appointments, and power costs if these are more than what is normal for a similar-sized household.

You can’t claim for one-off costs or costs that are already covered by a different agency (for example, ACC). However, if the other agency only pays part of the costs, you can claim the part that’s not covered.

Tip:   Keep copies of all your receipts, invoices and quotes. The Disability Allowance works by paying you back for what you’ve spent (a “reimbursement” system). You need to be able to prove your costs.

Next Section | Childcare costs

Did this answer your question?

Dealing with Work and Income

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Ministry of Social Development – Work and Income (WINZ)

See Work and Income’s website for information on whether you qualify for a benefit and how to apply for them.

Website: www.workandincome.govt.nz
Phone:  0800 559 009

Auckland Action Against Poverty (AAAP)

AAAP is a free nationwide advocacy service for people dealing with Work and Income.

Website: www.aaap.org.nz
Email: advocates@aaap.org.nz
Instagram: www.instagram.com/aucklandactionagainstpoverty
Facebook: www.facebook.com/AAAPNZ/

Helpful resources for beneficiaries: www.aaap.org.nz/resources

Beneficiaries Advocacy and Information Services (BAIS)

BAIS provides free advocacy and support for beneficiaries and low-income families in Auckland’s North Shore, Rodney and Hibiscus Coast districts.

Website: www.bais.org.nz
Phone: 09 444 9543
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bais.northshoreandrodney
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BAISnorthshoreandrodey   

Hutt Valley Benefit Education Service Trust (HV BEST)

The HV BEST provides information and support to beneficiaries in the Hutt Valley. 

Website: www.hvbest.co.nz
Email: hvbest@xtra.co.nz
Phone: 04 529 8108

Beneficiaries & Unwaged Workers Trust (BUWT)

BUWT provides information, advice and support to people on low incomes in Nelson.

Website: www.buwt.wordpress.com
Email: buwtcs@xtra.co.nz
Phone: 03 548 8171
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/282105670089970/?locale=pt_PT

Beneficiary Advisory Service (BAS)

The BAS provides information and support to beneficiaries in Christchurch.

Website: www.bas.org.nz
Email: bas.cprc@gmail.com
Phone: 0800 00 00 43
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BeneficiaryAdvisoryService

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

CAB provides free, confidential and independent information and advice. See CAB’s website for valuable information on a range of topics.

Website: www.cab.org.nz
Phone: 0800 367 222
Facebook:  www.facebook.com/citizensadvicenz

Find your local CAB office: www.cab.org.nz/find-a-cab

Zero Data

Zero Data is a new digital support that allows anyone with a mobile device, phone or tablet to access essential Government information for free. No data is used.

Website: www.zero.govt.nz

What do I need do I need for it to work?

  •  The device is on.
  •  The device is connected to Spark, Skinny One NZ, 2Degrees, Slingshot or Orcon.

You can access information from the following agencies:

  • Te Manatū Whakahiato Ora | Ministry of Social Development
  • Te Tāhuhu o te Mātauranga | Ministry of Education
  • Te Tari Taiwhenua | Department of Internal Affairs
  • Te Whatu Ora | Health New Zealand
  • Kāinga Ora | Homes & Communities
  • Te Tāhū o te Ture | Ministry of Justice
  • Te Kaporeihana Āwhina Hunga Whara | Accident Compensation Corporation

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top