Home | Browse Topics | Health & disability | Accident compensation (ACC) | ACC entitlements: Treatment, compensation and other support

Health & disability

ACC entitlements: Treatment, compensation and other support


Accident Compensation Act 2001, s 69

If your injury is covered by ACC, then you can apply for “entitlements,” including:

  • entitlements to medical treatment
  • compensation for loss of wages or salary
  • rehabilitation to help you regain your independence at work and outside work
  • lump-sum compensation for permanent disabilities (“impairment”)
  • support for family members after a fatal injury
  • and other assistance.

You can apply for as many entitlements as you are eligible for.

When ACC can refuse you an entitlement

Accident Compensation Act 2001, ss 117–122

ACC can refuse you entitlements in certain cases, including for as long as you unreasonably refuse or fail to:

  • meet a requirement under the ACC laws to do with your claim (like having an assessment), or
  • have medical or surgical treatment for your injury, or
  • agree to or follow an individual rehabilitation plan (see: “How your rehabilitation plan is decided).

You can also be refused an entitlement if you:

  • deliberately injured yourself, or
  • were injured committing a crime that carries a maximum prison term of two years or more (even if you’re sentenced to less than two years’ imprisonment or to home detention), or
  • are in prison, or
  • have claimed compensation (“damages”) for your injury through the courts in certain situations.

After you start receiving ACC entitlements, ACC can suspend or cancel an entitlement if they decide that you’re not entitled to go on receiving it. If they intend to do this, ACC have to give you advance notice in writing within a reasonable amount of time before they suspend or cancel the entitlement.

Next Section | Medical bills

Did this answer your question?

Accident compensation (ACC)

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC)

ACC’s website provides information to help you navigate the ACC system. It includes information on the claims process, possible entitlements and how to resolve an issue with ACC.

Website: www.acc.co.nz

General questions 
Email: information@acc.co.nz
Phone: 04 816 7400
Claims helpline: 0800 101 996

Sensitive claims
Email: sensitiveclaims@acc.co.nz
Phone: 0800 735 566
Free therapy services for sensitive claims: www.findsupport.co.nz

Deaf services email: deaf@acc.co.nz

Language and cultural services phone:  0800 101 996

Request your personal information:  www.acc.co.nz/contact/request-for-personal-information

Way Finders

Way Finders is a free nationwide independent service that can provide you with general or specific advice about ACC and help you navigate the system.

Website: www.wayfinders.org.nz 
Email: info@wayfinders.org.nz
Phone: 0800 273 030

Talk Meet Resolve (TMR)

Talk Meet Resolve is a free independent nationwide service that can assist you in resolving your dispute with ACC.

Website: www.talkmeetresolve.co.nz
Email: info@talkmeetresolve.co.nz
Phone: 0800 119 221

Complete the webform: www.talkmeetresolve.co.nz/contact

Medical Council of NZ

The Medical Council of New Zealand is responsible for ensuring doctors are competent and fit to practise. The website contains a register of practising doctors.

Website: www.mcnz.org.nz

Health and Disability Commissioner

The Health and Disability Commissioner website sets out your rights under the Code of Health and Disability Services Consumers’ Rights and how you can make a complaint to the Commissioner.

Website: www.hdc.org.nz
Email: hdc@hdc.co.nz
Phone: 0800 119 221

To make a complaint online: www.hdc.org.nz/making-a-complaint/make-a-complaint-to-hdc

Privacy Commissioner

The Privacy Commissioner website provides information about your rights and responsibilities under the Privacy Act 2020 and the Privacy Principles. It also outlines the role of the Privacy Commissioner and how to make a privacy complaint.

Website: www.privacy.org.nz
Email: enquiries@privacy.org.nz
Phone: 0800 803 909

To make a complaint online: www.privacy.org.nz/your-rights/making-a-complaint

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top