ACC entitlements: Treatment, compensation and other support

Medical bills

What kinds of treatment are covered by ACC?

Accident Compensation Act 2001, ss 6, 7, 73, 74, Schedule 1, clauses 1–6

Typical examples of treatment that is covered by ACC include:

  • emergency treatment at hospital A&E departments
  • other hospital treatment
  • visits to GPs and physiotherapists
  • visits to specialists, such as surgeons.

If you get emergency treatment at a hospital A&E after an accident, you don’t need to make a specific ACC claim for this. This is because emergency hospital treatment is bulk-funded by ACC.

Other treatment providers you can see under the ACC scheme include: acupuncturists, audiologists, chiropractors, counsellors, dentists, doctors, medical laboratory technologists, nurses, occupational therapists, optometrists, osteopaths, physiotherapists, podiatrists, and speech therapists.

Checklist for whether your specific treatment is covered

ACC has to pay for your treatment if the treatment is:

  • given to restore your health as far as possible
  • necessary, appropriate and of the required quality
  • performed only as often as necessary
  • given at appropriate places and times
  • of a type normally provided by doctors and other treatment providers
  • provided by someone who’s qualified and who normally provides it, and
  • provided only after ACC has agreed to it (except for emergency treatment and some other special cases).

ACC may also have to cover some or all of the cost of other services related to the treatment (“ancillary services”), such as accommodation, transport, medicines and lab tests.

In deciding if your treatment meets these requirements, ACC takes into account:

  • how serious your injury is
  • the generally accepted treatment for these types of injury in New Zealand
  • other treatment options available in New Zealand, and
  • the costs compared with the benefits you’re likely to get from the treatment.
Next Section | Loss of income

Did this answer your question?

Accident compensation (ACC)

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

Find your local Community Law Centre online:

Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC)

ACC’s website provides information to help you navigate the ACC system. It includes information on the claims process, possible entitlements and how to resolve an issue with ACC.


General questions 
Phone: 04 816 7400
Claims helpline: 0800 101 996

Sensitive claims
Phone: 0800 735 566
Free therapy services for sensitive claims:

Deaf services email:

Language and cultural services phone:  0800 101 996

Request your personal information:

Way Finders

Way Finders is a free nationwide independent service that can provide you with general or specific advice about ACC and help you navigate the system.

Phone: 0800 273 030

Talk Meet Resolve (TMR)

Talk Meet Resolve is a free independent nationwide service that can assist you in resolving your dispute with ACC.

Phone: 0800 119 221

Complete the webform:

Medical Council of NZ

The Medical Council of New Zealand is responsible for ensuring doctors are competent and fit to practise. The website contains a register of practising doctors.


Health and Disability Commissioner

The Health and Disability Commissioner website sets out your rights under the Code of Health and Disability Services Consumers’ Rights and how you can make a complaint to the Commissioner.

Phone: 0800 119 221

To make a complaint online:

Privacy Commissioner

The Privacy Commissioner website provides information about your rights and responsibilities under the Privacy Act 2020 and the Privacy Principles. It also outlines the role of the Privacy Commissioner and how to make a privacy complaint.

Phone: 0800 803 909

To make a complaint online:

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top