Home | Browse Topics | Health & disability | Accident compensation (ACC) | Mediation and other alternative ways of resolving disputes

Health & disability

Challenging an ACC decision

Mediation and other alternative ways of resolving disputes

Note: Mediation on ACC issues is voluntary. It can only happen if both you and ACC are willing to do it.

To settle disputes without them having to go to a full independent review, ACC offers mediation and other alternative dispute resolution methods.

ACC uses three different organisations for this: FairWay Resolution and the Independent Complaint and Review Authority (ICRA), both of which also do independent reviews, and an organisation called “Talk Meet Resolve,” which specialises in conciliation.

Mediation: Helping the two sides come to an agreement

Mediation is a way of resolving a dispute. A neutral person (“the mediator”) helps you and ACC discuss the problem, identify what you disagree about, and try to come up with an agreed settlement. The mediator guides the discussion, but they don’t decide what will happen. You and ACC decide together, unless both sides decide to ask the mediator to make a decision.

When will mediation be available to me?

If you’re not happy with a decision, you can ask ACC to organise mediation at any time.

If you’ve already applied for an independent review, you can also ask the independent reviewer to organise mediation before the formal review hearing.

Mediation is only appropriate when there’s some scope for negotiation between the two sides, like where ACC has some discretion under the Accident Compensation Act. Mediation isn’t appropriate if the ACC laws and regulations set out detailed rules that limit what ACC can decide, like whether or not you have ACC cover. Any agreement that you reach at mediation has to be consistent with the ACC laws.

Conciliation: Proactively helping you find a solution

Another alternative process for resolving disputes is “conciliation”. This is similar to mediation, but the independent person helping you (the conciliator) plays a more active role in helping you and ACC come to an agreed resolution of your own.

The conciliator will be an expert in the ACC scheme and the laws that govern it. They will propose ways of resolving the dispute.

Facilitation: Helping you work out what the dispute is about

“Facilitation” is a process for working out a way forward when the two sides have different ideas about what the issues are. If you and ACC are having trouble agreeing on what the issues are and so having difficulty understanding each other, facilitation might be suggested to you as the next best step.

Next Section | Independent reviews

Did this answer your question?

Accident compensation (ACC)

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC)

ACC’s website provides information to help you navigate the ACC system. It includes information on the claims process, possible entitlements and how to resolve an issue with ACC.

Website: www.acc.co.nz

General questions 
Email: information@acc.co.nz
Phone: 04 816 7400
Claims helpline: 0800 101 996

Sensitive claims
Email: sensitiveclaims@acc.co.nz
Phone: 0800 735 566
Free therapy services for sensitive claims: www.findsupport.co.nz

Deaf services email: deaf@acc.co.nz

Language and cultural services phone:  0800 101 996

Request your personal information:  www.acc.co.nz/contact/request-for-personal-information

Way Finders

Way Finders is a free nationwide independent service that can provide you with general or specific advice about ACC and help you navigate the system.

Website: www.wayfinders.org.nz 
Email: info@wayfinders.org.nz
Phone: 0800 273 030

Talk Meet Resolve (TMR)

Talk Meet Resolve is a free independent nationwide service that can assist you in resolving your dispute with ACC.

Website: www.talkmeetresolve.co.nz
Email: info@talkmeetresolve.co.nz
Phone: 0800 119 221

Complete the webform: www.talkmeetresolve.co.nz/contact

Medical Council of NZ

The Medical Council of New Zealand is responsible for ensuring doctors are competent and fit to practise. The website contains a register of practising doctors.

Website: www.mcnz.org.nz

Health and Disability Commissioner

The Health and Disability Commissioner website sets out your rights under the Code of Health and Disability Services Consumers’ Rights and how you can make a complaint to the Commissioner.

Website: www.hdc.org.nz
Email: hdc@hdc.co.nz
Phone: 0800 119 221

To make a complaint online: www.hdc.org.nz/making-a-complaint/make-a-complaint-to-hdc

Privacy Commissioner

The Privacy Commissioner website provides information about your rights and responsibilities under the Privacy Act 2020 and the Privacy Principles. It also outlines the role of the Privacy Commissioner and how to make a privacy complaint.

Website: www.privacy.org.nz
Email: enquiries@privacy.org.nz
Phone: 0800 803 909

To make a complaint online: www.privacy.org.nz/your-rights/making-a-complaint

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top