Home | Browse Topics | Health & disability | Accident compensation (ACC) | Lump-sum payments for permanent impairments

Health & disability

Costs covered by ACC: Treatment, compensation and other support

Lump-sum payments for permanent impairments

What compensation can I get for permanent injuries?

Accident Compensation Act 2001, s 69, Schedule 1, clauses 54–62

Lump-sum compensation is payable for permanent impairments – for example, if you lose a finger in a machine accident at work. These are one-off, non-taxable payments that are paid on top of other ACC entitlements.

These lump-sum payments don’t include compensation for pain and suffering, or for loss of enjoyment of life, resulting from your impairment. However, permanent impairment can include not only physical impairments but also mental harm caused by rape and sexual abuse, see “Sexual abuse: Cover for resulting mental harm” in this chapter.

Eligibility for lump-sum compensation is based on a medical assessment of the claimant’s impairment. The ACC-appointed assessor must decide if the claimant is permanently impaired, and if so, to what degree or “percentage”. In assessing impairment, ACC uses the American Medical Association guidelines. To qualify for lump-sum compensation, a claimant must have suffered a minimum threshold of 10 percent degree of impairment.

Usually, assessment for lump-sum compensation takes place after ACC receives information, from a registered medical practitioner, that the claimant’s personal injury has stabilised, and that it is likely that there is permanent impairment.

Alternatively, if after two years the practitioner states that the claimant’s personal injury has not stabilised but that permanent impairment is likely, an assessment can take place.

For information about laws protecting disabled people generally, see the chapter “Disability rights”.

Did this answer your question?

Accident compensation (ACC)

Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC)



Claims helpline: 0800 101 996
Treatment Injury and Sexual Abuse (sensitive claims): 0800 735 566
Accidental death: 0800 101 996
Deaf community fax: 0800 332 354
Email: claims@acc.co.nz

General enquiries

Phone: (04) 816 7400
Email: information@acc.co.nz


Phone: 0800 650 222
Email: complaints@acc.co.nz

Health and Disability Commissioner


Health and Disability advocates are available to help users of health services make complaints about their health service provider. Health and Disability advocates are free.

Sexual abuse claims (“Sensitive” claims)

ACC Sensitive Claims team

Phone: 0800 735 566
Email: sensitiveclaims@acc.co.nz

Find Support website – www.findsupport.co.nz

This is an ACC website that will help you find information and support. You can click on “Find a therapist” on the home page to find a therapist in your area who can help you begin the process of making an ACC claim.

Support organisations

Sexual abuse support centres


TOAHNNEST: Te Ohakii a Hine – National Network for Ending Sexual Violence Together has a list of places where you can get help.

Medical Council of NZ


The Medical Council registers doctors in New Zealand and has responsibilities in the areas of standards, conduct and competence.

Privacy Commissioner


The Privacy Commissioner has a wide range of functions, including investigating complaints about breaches of privacy, running education programmes, and examining proposed legislation and how it may affect individual privacy.



Phone: 0800 273 030

Email: info@wayfinders.org.nz

Wayfinders are a free national service that’s available to anyone who have questions about ACC or a specific ACC claim. Their service is available for people who may want an alternative way to interact with ACC rather than deal with ACC directly.

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life. It’s for people living in Aotearoa New Zealand (and their advocates) to help themselves.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top